The Jenny Brown Associates Over 50 Award
WINNER ANNOUNCED: Huge congratulations to Glennis Virgo for winning our inaugural Debut Writers Over 50 Award with Vile Apparel, a glorious world building novel set against the rich fabric of 16th-century Bologna where a young woman seamstress fights for justice and her ambitions in a male-dominated world.
Jenny Brown Associates’ award is for debut novelists resident in the UK aged 50 and above. The winner will receive £1,000 and a placement on a residential writing course at Moniack Mhor Creative Writing Centre. Runners-up will receive tailored mentoring sessions. The Award gratefully acknowledges the support of Moniack Mhor.
Terms and conditions
- This competition is organised by Jenny Brown Associates, 31 Marchmont Road Edinburgh EH9 1HU.
- The debut novel award is open to all unpublished and unrepresented writers resident in the UK aged 50 and above.
- The competition is open to anyone who is aged 50 on 31 May 2023 (ie if you were born on or before 31.5.73).
- Entrants must be unpublished fiction writers and entries must not have been published in any format (physical, eBook, audio) prior to entry. The exception to this is that if you have published short stories, non-fiction, poetry or children’s books as an unrepresented author it does not make you ineligible.
- If you have self-published one or more novels, you are ineligible.
- Writers may only enter this Award once, with one novel.
- The entry must be original, not involve another party, and must be in English, not a translation.
- A full manuscript, or a substantial portion of the work (envisaged to be no less than 60,000 words) has to be available if called in.
- Submissions open on 1 May 2023 and closing date for entries is 31 May 2023. No entries received after 23.59 on 31 May 2023 will be accepted.
- Entry is via our email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entries may not be altered after submission.
- Please inform us immediately if you have submitted this work for another prize and been successful or have accepted representation elsewhere.
- The prize is £1,000, plus a week’s placement at Moniack Mhor Creative Writing Centre for the winner including reasonable travel expenses, runners-up will receive mentoring sessions with established writers, editors, or agents as appropriate. The winner and runners-up may be offered representation by Jenny Brown Associates.
- By entering the competition you are agreeing to publicity associated with the prize.
- The winner of the competition will be chosen by an experienced panel.
- The entry instructions are part of the Terms and Conditions for this competition. By entering the competition you are agreeing to accept these Terms and Conditions. Any breach of these Terms and Conditions by you will mean that your entry will not be valid, and you will not be allowed to enter.
- Any personal information you give us will be used solely for this competition and will not be passed on to any other parties without your agreement. Copyright in your work remains yours at all times, however Jenny Brown Associates may wish to use limited extracts on their website or online in promotion of the prize.
- Jenny Brown Associates reserves the right not to award a first prize and to reallocate the prize pool as they see fit. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.